Ixconn has messed up my Huawei E169

Support for usage of ixconn
Antworten
chris

Ixconn has messed up my Huawei E169

Beitrag von chris » Mi 7. Apr 2010, 04:15

Yesterday I installed ixconn on my Ubuntu computer, for my Huawei E169 modem.

After I started ixconn I got the error: "Modem not responding."
And now I can't even connect to the internet using the Ubuntu Network Manager.
(but thankfully, I can still use the "pon" and "pppconfig" terminal commands to connect to the internet).

I found that cause of the problem is that the AT Command "AT+CREG" now always returns +CREG: 0,0
This means that the modem is not registered to a network and not searching for networks.
But this is wrong, since I know for a fact that modem is registered to the home network (I'm using it now).

Is there any AT Command that could fix the modem or any way to reset it to factory default settings?
Would flashing the firmware repair the modem?

Opilionn
Administrator

Re: Ixconn has messed up my Huawei E169

Beitrag von Opilionn » Do 8. Apr 2010, 19:40

Hi chris,

strange...
How does the modem respond to "AT+CGREG?" ? (the G stands for GPRS)
What is the ixconn program version you are using?

The only reset commands I'm aware of are ATZ, AT&F and AT+CFUN=1,1

Some months ago I too had a similar problem with Ubuntu NWM. At that time ixconn did not exist. The NWM did not connect, so I was forced to use pppd instead. :-(

chris

Beitrag von chris » Di 13. Apr 2010, 16:03

Thanks for your reply. I think I was using ixconn version 0.2

CGREG returns "+CGREG: 0,1" - which means "registered, home network".
That's strange since CGREG is for GPRS registration status but the modem is operating in UMTS/3G mode??

Opilionn
Administrator

Beitrag von Opilionn » Mo 19. Apr 2010, 14:34

As far as I know, the reply to "AT+CGREG?" should be the same – no matter if 2G or if 3G is being used. The command's documentation mentions "GPRS", but that should apply to UMTS also.

Therefore, the problem seems to be elsewhere. Hopefully it will be solved with one of the next updates of Ubuntu NWM...

chris

Beitrag von chris » Do 22. Apr 2010, 05:31

I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't elsewhere - my modem was working perfectly fine until I used Ixconn.

While using ixconn my modem completely stopped responding. AT Commands did not work. All attempts to connect failed. I unplugged and reinserted the modem a few times, but it remained unresponsive. I tried the modem in three computers (Ubuntu, Mac and Windows) and it still wouldn't work. It wasn't until I used the official Huawei Mobile Partner software that the modem became usable again. Then (just as a test) I tried ixconn again, and the modem went dead again and I had to use Mobile Partner again.

seikku

Beitrag von seikku » Sa 17. Sep 2011, 09:43

I know this comes a bit late, but: GPRS is the General Packet Radio Service standard, used by both the 2G and 3G standards.

Unfortunately, the GPRS and EGPRS/EDGE were used for 2.5G and 2.75G in a way, that most of the people think GPRS equals to 2.5G.

UMTS including 3G, 3.5G and 3.75G (Rel99, Rel5, Rel6 = 384kb/s, HSDPA, HSPA with HSUPA) all use GPRS data interface.

-seikku-

Antworten