MWconn with Virgin Broadband in Australia

Support for usage of MWconn
Forumsregeln
In most fault cases it is necessary to create a Service Log
Antworten
sunrk

MWconn with Virgin Broadband in Australia

Beitrag von sunrk » Do 4. Jun 2009, 09:40

I am fed up with the really poor 'doctored' standard Huawei software supplied by Virgin Broadband here in Australia with their e169 3G USB modems and have been trying MWconn out since it reports real signal statistics, etc, and is far more configurable, however, I'm having a few problems. The standard software gives almost no feedback about signal strength beside a very non-helpful bargraph meter and an indication of the carrier mode corresponding to the LED colour on the e169 to indicate GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA, etc.

THe main problem is that even with the correct APN, I'm getting error 619 back when MWconn attemtps to establish a connection. Virgin Broadband is the only 3G reseller in Australia that uses PAP instead of CHAP for authentication and a few people who've spoken to me about this suggested that since MWconn doesn't provide a way to select the authentication method, that might be the cause if the modem (or software controlling it) is defaulting to CHAP.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to specific the dialling code. THere is a field in the MWconn configuration for a prepaid credit query dial code, though I don't think that's what I need to set. My 3G service is post-paid. I don't know if the dialling cost is critical to being able to set up a connection, though I'd say it is.

BTW for those who are unaware Virgin in Australia re-sells wireless CDMA broadband internet from Singtel (aka Optus). I know that people who have an Optus 3G wireless service have no problem using MWconn - Optus uses CHAP for it's own 3G mobile broadband customers. Why Virgin is different I don't know but it could well come down to wholesale cost.

Regards,

Craig.
Craig Dewick in Wollombi/Laguna, NSW .au
Using MWconn with Panasonic 'Toughbook' systems

hErMeS
Administrator
Re: MWconn with Virgin Broadband in Australia

Beitrag von hErMeS » Do 4. Jun 2009, 23:24

does the apn require unique username and passwords?
pap and chap are configureable in the dial up connection settings ( security tab )
the prepaid query dial code means something like *100# ( most germany pre-paid networks, please tell yours ) to get the credit

sunrk

Beitrag von sunrk » Fr 5. Jun 2009, 07:22

hErMeS hat geschrieben:does the apn require unique username and passwords?
No - never been supplied with any special username and/or password.
pap and chap are configureable in the dial up connection settings ( security tab )
I haven't been able to located a 'security' tab. When I run up the MWconn configuration program, I have the following main tabs across the top of the window:

Info Global Device Network Connection Monitoring Log Start/End External SMS

and there aren't any sub-tabs appearing under those for security settings. I'm using the most recent version (5.1) of the software.
the prepaid query dial code means something like *100# ( most germany pre-paid networks, please tell yours ) to get the credit
Ok thanks. I didn't think it was of any relevance to the current problem since my account is post-paid.

Craig.

Opilionn
Administrator

Beitrag von Opilionn » Fr 5. Jun 2009, 08:28

Hi Craig,

thanks for this detailed description! I've been following your discussion on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 14513.html since a few days.

In general, Hermes was right: the CHAP settings are available in Windows dial-up connections, and - that was the misunderstanding - not in MWconn settings. Unfortunately I do not know how to get there in English version of Windows Vista. On my English XP installation you can reach the dial-up settings as follows:

- click start->"Control Panel"
- click "Network Connections"
- click right on the connection named "Internet", select "Properties"
- choose the "Security" tab
- select "Advanced (custom settings)" and click on "Settings..."
- activate/deactivate the protocols
- press OK and OK

I hope this could help a bit... Please write us whether it solved the problem.

Opilionn

sunrk

Beitrag von sunrk » Fr 5. Jun 2009, 09:53

Opilionn hat geschrieben:Hi Craig,

thanks for this detailed description! I've been following your discussion on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 14513.html since a few days.

In general, Hermes was right: the CHAP settings are available in Windows dial-up connections, and - that was the misunderstanding - not in MWconn settings.
Ah ok now I know where to look - and yes under the Windows properties for the 'Internet' connection I've been able to manually de-select all other authentication options except PAP and saved that successfully.

Started up MWconn again (still with the 'Australia Virgin' profile selected) and MWconn still sits there forever saying 'searching for network'.

I tried changing back to 'Australia Optus 3G' and lo and behold it has worked and I'm typing this message using MWconn to manage the e169 connection to Virgin (via Optus). So at least this proves that it can be set up to work even though it's using the Optus network code (50502) and not the Virgin one.

The signal strength indicator is giving what appears to be a correct value of 43 percent = -87 dBm. Eek now dropped to 33 percent = -93 dbm. back up again.

Craig.

hErMeS
Administrator

Beitrag von hErMeS » Fr 5. Jun 2009, 14:14

sunrk hat geschrieben: Started up MWconn again (still with the 'Australia Virgin' profile selected) and MWconn still sits there forever saying 'searching for network'.
currently there are problems ( searching for network ) with huawei devices. i'm testing a e169 (k3520) with the same issue. error fixing will be available soon.[/quote]

Antworten